Interview with Oxford Jasmine




You may know her from Youtube videos such as 'Bollywood Bridal Look', 'Contemporary Indian Wedding - Everyday' and 'Aishwarya Rai Inspired Golden Bollywood Look', just to name a few!

Indian Fashion Diva caught up with the ever-so enchanting Oxford Jasmine for some fun insight into the life and mind of our favourite Makeup Artist...

IFD: It goes without saying, you are quite stunning even without makeup. Did you initially feel self-conscious about posting closeup videos of yourself?

Oxford Jasmine: Thank you very much for the compliment. My channel has come a long way, I am now coming up to my second year on YouTube. If I think back to the first video that I uploaded on 18th June 2008, I was so nervous. I had to stop filming to get some air!! It's so much harder than it looks. Like every woman, I have image issues and there are things I don't like about myself. It took a while to gain the confidence to appear on camera wearing not a scrap of make up. What keeps me going is the many emails and Facebook messages I receive from women around the world who enjoy watching and learning from my tutorials or just listening to my voice.

IFD: Your video 'Egyptian Inspired Emphasised Crease Look' was a fun surprise! Where does your inspiration come from?

Oxford Jasmine: I bought a wig and everyone said I looked like Cleopatra in it so I decided to make an inspired video based on it.

IFD: I just watched your video 'Tropical Fish Inspired Look' and imagined the number of times I would have messed that up on myself. Do you ever make any blunders that you end up editing out? Any chance of a future bloopers video?

Oxford Jasmine: I practice with new products and tools until I feel confident with them. Normally I have to stop videoing when my cat or my husband burst in to the room demanding attention or there is some other intervention. Most of my videos are looks I wear when I go out so I generally don't have time for a second take! I try not to edit unless the video is really long or to remove boring bits such as when I have to go and find a product from a drawer. I am sure I could easily fill a 10 minute video with just bloopers.

IFD: We all have our likes and dislikes. What makeup look are you not particularly fond of?

Oxford Jasmine: I think there are some amazingly talented people out there who create stunning looks. Everyone is different and likes different aspects of make up. I tend to shy away from more dramatic looks in my videos as I like my videos to reflect my personality and lifestyle rather than the entertainment value. I leave that to the more flamboyant and adventurous make up gurus out there.


IFD: Judging from the global interest you've received, you're obviously a Makeup Guru for thousands of women around the world, including us here at Indian Fashion Diva. Who is your Makeup Guru?

Oxford Jasmine: I have many friends who are make up artists and they work so hard for very little recognition. I am a big fan of the late and great Kevyn Aucoin who was truly gifted but shared his knowledge with the world in the form of his easy to follow and beautifully illustrated books.

IFD: Do you ever get recognized when you're out and about?

Oxford Jasmine: Not very often and only in London. It's an unreal experience and one for which I was totally unprepared! It's kind of nice to talk to people who share my interest!

IFD: Okay, time for some random questions...what is your favourite song of all time?

Oxford Jasmine: It's a tie between Karma Police by Radio Head and Insomnia by Faithless.

IFD: Blackberry or iPhone?

Oxford Jasmine: Blackberry

IFD: Favourite Bollywood star?

Oxford Jasmine: Aishwarya Rai and Shahrukh Khan

IFD: Your star sign?

Oxford Jasmine: Pisces


IFD: Alright, last question. As a professional in the field, is there any advice you could give to a budding makeup artist trying to make a living out of their passion?

Oxford Jasmine: Learn all you can from those who are prepared to teach you, never pass up a chance to learn from others and practise your skills. In the early days, no female visitor ever left my house without a makeover! I think that's why my friends and family love coming to stay!

For those living outside of the UK, Oxford Jasmine offers one to one or group make up lessons, special occasion make up and Personal Video tutorials. Contact Oxford Jasmine by visiting her website, or by connecting with her to your favourite social networking site listed below:

No comments:

Post a Comment